Explore Geelong with Car Hire
Geelong is the gateway to the Great Ocean Road. Avalon Airport, Melbourne's second main airport, is just 15min drive from central Geelong. Shuttle buses are an excessive expense if you're hiring a car and taxi fares are exorbitant.
- Avalon Airport to Geelong city: 22km
- Petrol station closest to airport: BP on Princes Highway (14km)
Geelong Holiday Travel
Conveniently located between the Great Ocean Road and the city of Melbourne, Geelong is a perfect starting point for exploring southern Victoria. Torquay, the start of the Great Ocean Road, is just 45min drive from Avalon Airport or 30min from Geelong. After you've had your great outdoors fix head to the trendy cultural hub that is Melbourne, an hour's drive from Geelong.
- Avalon Airport to Melbourne: 85.6km
- Avalon Airport to Torquay (Great Ocean Road): 49km
Highlights (Geelong City)
- Waterfront cafes, restaurants & carousel
- Geelong Botanical Gardens
- National Wool Museum
- Potato Shed theatre
- Wreck of ex HMAS Canberra diving in Queenscliff Harbour
- Ford Discovery Centre
- Dolphin & seal swims
Highlights (Melbourne City)
- Federation Square
- Queen Victoria Market
- Melbourne Museum
- Luna Park
- Old Melbourne Gaol
- Docklands waterside retail, dining & entertainment precinct
Highlights (Great Ocean Road)
- The Twelve Apostles
- Surfing & Surfworld museum at Torquay
- Lorne resort town
- Great Ocean Walk
- The Otways Ranges bush trails & glowworm forest
- Whale watching
- Cape Otway Lighthouse (Australia's oldest)
The Great Ocean Road is most famous for its towering seaside cliffs, but it's also lined with beautiful coastal forests. Head further out to the north and east of Melbourne for Alpine National Park.
- Brisbane Ranges National Park (46km from Geelong city)
- Great Otway National Park (125km from Geelong city)
- Kinglake National Park (135km from Geelong city)
- Point Cook Coastal Park (60km from Geelong city)
- Carlisle State Park (111km from Geelong city)
Geelong's weather is fairly stable with warm summers and gentle winters.
- Summer Temperatures: 14 - 26 degrees celcius
- Winter Temperatures: 5 - 15 degrees celcius
- Storm Season: Geelong is the driest large city in Australia, as most rain clouds are blocked by the nearby Otway Ranges..